Designing high quality assessment tools: tricks of the trade
Tasmania - Essential Series
Tue 25 Mar 2014, 9:30am to 12:30pm AEDT
|Location||Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, 309 Liverpool Street, Hobart, Tasmania|
|Cost inc. GST (Members)||$105|
|Cost inc. GST ||$135|
|Who should attend?||
This workshop, for professionals who already have a grasp of the challenges of assessment development, looks at the design principles and development processes that underpin a good assessment system and its documentation. Participants will work on a number of practical activities to further the participant’s understanding and practical skill base.
The Australian VET Standards require RTOs to have quality and compliant assessment tools in place. Yet many RTOs are found non-compliant at audit time, specifically on this essential requirement. Developing your own assessment documents or contextualising commercial assessment resources is an essential skill for a RTO and should be systematised, standardised and efficient. The result should be a “product” that adds value to your RTO client services.
By the end of this workshop, participants will have the knowledge and skills to:
- understand the principles of assessment design and development
- identify and name the assessment documentation used in their RTO
- identify and apply the “essential” information for assessment design in units of competency
- understand how the rules of evidence can be captured in assessment tools
- apply these principles in a model for a lower or higher AQF unit of competency
- identify the strengths and gaps in their RTO’s current assessment documentation, and
- clarify improvements needed in their RTO’s in-house assessment documents.
Facilitated by: Robyn Maher
Robyn Maher is the Managing Director and lead consultant of a long established VET consultancy. The company has depth and experience and a reputation for providing grounded expert advice and support to RTOs. Over twelve years of continuous work in VET and assessment, Robyn and her colleagues have developed, customised, validated, formatted and rolled out assessment strategy and assessment tools across many qualifications. The work is across training packages, licences and regulations and industries. Robyn has designed and produced commercial assessment products sold through VET distributors and put materials through the national quality approval systems. These materials have been through RTO audits in all States and regulators.