Edition 600, 20 April 2015
- Foundation Skills for RTOs: free professional development in 2015
- This week in National professional development
- Apply for the 2015 Excellence in Language, Literacy and Numeracy Practice Award
- Register for the Tasmanian Skills Conference preceded by TCCI Skills Forum, Hobart 25-26 May
- Attend the Australian International Education (AIE) 2025 Roadshow Hobart 24 April
- Subsidised Business Development Workshops for SA RTOs
- Attracting and Engaging Young learners in VET - Subsidised Workshop 6 May
- Attend a free info session on Work Ready, 24 April
- Invitation to meet Bhutanese delegation at Workforce Planners network meeting 27 April
This week a different angle
Monday, April 20 2015
This week I have the honour of leading the sector in the Australia-Japan Business Spotlight VET Showcase Mission in Japan. The event is an opportunity to position the industry in its engagement with Japan, as it looks to develop a genuine skills agenda to meet the growing skills needs of its own economy.
Being selected as the keynote speaker is a very positive reflection on the enormous commitment ACPET has invested in building and improving the quality element of our sector. The Showcase’s predominant day will also see significant contributions from the Ambassador to Japan, His Excellency Bruce Miller, Mr Bruce Gosper, CEO, Austrade and the Hon Steven Cibolo MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Trade and Investment.
As you can see a considerable list of presenters. There will also be a contribution from Professor Keiichi Yoshimoto, Director, Research Centre for Tertiary Education and Qualifications), Kyushu University.
In terms of ACPET’s contribution, the event will also showcase some of our quality members active in the Japanese market, including Imagine Education, Baxter Institute, Think Education and Charlton Brown, together with presentations from TAFE.
A big congratulations to our member colleges for their contribution.
I also had the pleasure this week of visiting member colleges. I participated in some very informed discussions on how to improve the sector and ACPET. Thanks to those colleges involved.
In the VET FEE HELP world, the new arrangements and proposals are still causing some confusion and concern. The more information the sector can receive on the changes the better.
While the changes were much needed and supported, it is imperative that any changes add significant value and not bureaucracy to the arrangements.
Issues members have been raising with me relate to the conjecture about attempts to over define the length of short courses in a competency based framework, the possible approach being taken to multiple Census dates and any other possible changes being considered to enrolment practices.
Put simply we all want poor practice removed, but we also want to encourage diversity, innovation and quality education and not react to every issue without understanding the implications.
I look forward to engagement with the Department regarding changes. On that note the Assistant Minister for Education and Training, Senator the Hon Simon Birmingham has formed a high-level Working Group to assist with the implementation of the reforms. I look forward to the formation of this group.
The department will also be hosting provider consultation forums around Australia, and several webinar provider consultation sessions, over the next few weeks. These forums will provide an opportunity for the department to present the proposed reforms and provide an opportunity for approved providers to provide feedback.
I recommend that members get involved. Details of the various provider sessions are below (please note you need to register for the events):
- Melbourne, Tuesday 21 April 2015, 2.00-4.00 pm – Click here to register.
- Adelaide, Thursday 23 April 2015, 2.30-4.30 pm – Click here to register.
- Sydney, Friday 24 April 2015, 2.00-4.00 pm – Click here to register.
Series two - registrations close COB Friday 3 May 2015
- Brisbane, Thursday 7 May 2015, 10.00 am-12.00 noon, CBD venue TBA – Click here to register.
- Perth, Friday 8 May 2015, 10.00 am - 12.00 noon, CBD venue TBA – Click here to register.
- Canberra, Thursday 14 May 2015, 2.00–4.00 pm – Click here to register.
- 1: hosted by the department for the Northern Territory, Tasmania and regional VET FEE-HELP providers - week commencing 11 May 2015 – timing TBA
- 2: with Australian Council of Private Education and Training members - week commencing 11 May 2015 – timing TBA
- 3: with TAFE Directors Australia members - week commencing 11 May 2015 – timing TBA
Further information for the webinars will be available soon.