Edition 734, 4 December 2017
New National VET Data Policy
Monday, December 4 2017
A new National VET Data Policy (the Policy) was agreed by Skills Ministers at the COAG Industry and Skills Council meeting on 24 November. The new Policy sets the framework for reforms to help students make better decisions, have a more complete official record of their training, and to simplify regulation for RTOs. It will enable reforms under the Performance Information for VET (PIVET) initiative, which will transform the data available to consumers, governments and regulators.
The Policy has been redrafted to incorporate a number of other suggested changes and legal and
privacy advice. The key changes include:
- expansion of the Policy to provide guidance on all national VET data collections in one document
- a reduction of some reporting exemptions for community service organisations and RTOs delivering short courses
- specification of mandatory content for inclusion in a 'Privacy Notice and Student Declaration'for students, and a 'VET Data Use Statement and RTO Declaration and Understanding' for RTOs
- authority for the publication of identifiable RTO level information
- arrangements for disclosure of identifiable data about VET students, including identifiable data containing Unique Student Identifier (USI) and
- more details on the operation of the VET Data Access Committee.
For more information please click here.