Edition 692, 13 February 2017
- Peak period in student visa processing
- Introduction to International Education and Free Trade Agreement Workshops
Peak period in student visa processing
Monday, February 13 2017
Now is a critical time for student visa processing because of the high volume of international students intending to commence studies in Australia over the coming weeks. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) continues to manage the seasonal peak of student visa applications.
Some key statistics help paint the picture -
- Over 101,950 student visa applications were lodged between 1 November 2016 and 31 January 2017, an increase of about 12.4 per cent compared to the same period in 2015/16.
- Over 87,960 student visas were finalised in this period – an increase of almost 14 per cent compared to the same period in 2015/16.
DIBP aim to process 75 per cent of complete student visa applications within one month. Seventy five per cent of student visa applications made outside of Australia were finalised in 25 days or less.
By providing all required information and evidence when lodging, students and agents will contribute to efficient processing.
Other valuable tips for providers include -
- CoEs should be issued in sufficient time for students to lodge their visa application. Many are being issued too close to course commencement, leaving insufficient time for lodgement and assessment.
- Providers should include information about the latest practical start date on any CoEs which are issued within six weeks of course commencement.
- If a CoE is valid, the visa may be granted. DIBP are not obliged to seek late arrival letters. CoEs should be cancelled in PRISMS if a provider is no longer going to accept the student.
- When a provider or agent is arranging health insurance, remember the student needs insurance for their entire period of stay.
- Students can complete their health examinations before lodging their application.
- Providers need to keep information in PRISMS is up to date, including student contact details.